Dying leather is a great option to revamp or change the look of an existing leather piece. Choose a dye that provides the qualities you are looking for, be it flexibility or depth of color. The possibilities are endless.
Although dyeing leather is more of an art than a science, the basic procedure is quite simple.
You Will Need
* Leather dye
* A spray bottle or sponge
* A cloth for dye
* Soft cloth for buffing
* Leather deglazer (optional)
Step 1: Select a dye
Select a suitable dye, which will be depend on the type of leather you are working with. Alcohol-based dyes add a strong color to leather, but tend to stiffen it. Water-based dyes do not add as strong a color, but they are better at preserving the leather's natural suppleness.
Step 2: Clean the leather
Clean the leather surface, taking care to remove any coating or dirt present.
Use a commercially available leather deglazer.
Step 3: Dampen the leather
Spray the leather with water, or dampen it with a moist sponge until it is uniformly wet.
Step 4: Apply the dye
Apply the dye evenly with a clean cloth.
Step 5: Let the leather dry
Allow the leather to dry. As it dries, flex it occasionally to keep it from becoming stiff.
Step 6: Buff the leather
Buff the leather with a soft, clean cloth to remove any excess dye.
Did you know? Egyptians made a red dye called "madder," extracted from plants, about 4,000 years ago.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades