There's something about the world of steampunk that fascinates me.
This case project turns your modern utilitarian external hard drive into a living, mechanical organism. With its brass clock heart and leather flesh, it's almost a perfect depiction of the creepy machine-driven Victorian era that first wooed me in The City of Lost Children.
Your external drive will no longer be just an inanimate object for storage. It feels more like a biotic companion for information exchange.
- Portable hard drive
- Balsa wood piece (3/32" x 4" x 36")
- Balsa wood piece (1/4" x 4" x 36")
- Medium thin brass (sheet)
- Brass rivets (bag)
- Tooling leather (piece)
- Black heavy thread
- Gilded plastic gears / brass gears
- Leather dye (brown)
- Small digital clock with fake gold setting
- 2" Quartz brass fancy clock
- Drill (preferably drill press)
- Dremel rotary tool
- Rivet setter
- Rotary leather punch
- Sharp utility knife
- Forester bit set
- Black Sharpie marker
- Ziplock bags (2)
Have an iPhone? Check out all 200+ new features coming in iOS 13.